On 24 February 2021, at the 46th session of the Human Rights Council, during an interactive dialogue on the report of the High Commissioner on ensuring accountability and justice for all violations of international law in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, Al-Haq delivered a statement on behalf of 14 Palestinian organisations, highlighting the importance of the recent decision of the Pre-Trial Chamber of the International Criminal Court in ending Israel’s impunity and achieving justice.
Watch the statement here.
Thank you, Madam President.
In her accountability report to this Council session, the High Commissioner rightfully referred to Israel’s unlawful and prevailing climate of impunity, stressing that “impunity must be the highest priority.”
It is within the context of prolonged refugeehood, 53 years of occupation, 13 years of closure in Gaza, continued maintenance of institutionalised racial domination and oppression over the Palestinian people as a whole, and an ongoing process of displacement, dispossession, and erasure that we continue to address the Council and its Member States, urging them to put an end to Israel’s systematic and widespread impunity.
The recent decision of the Pre-Trial Chamber of the International Criminal Court affirming that the Court has full territorial jurisdiction over the occupied Palestinian territory is a crucial first step towards long denied justice.
For decades, Israel has shown that it is unable and unwilling to hold itself accountable for human rights violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed against the Palestinian people.
Third States must adhere to their legal obligations and take meaningful and effective steps to ensure that Israel’s impunity is brought to an end and international justice and accountability are achieved without any further delay, including by fully supporting the opening of a full, thorough, and comprehensive investigation into the Situation in the State of Palestine before the ICC, including the crime of apartheid.
- The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council (PHROC), compromising of:
- Al-Haq Organization - Law in the Service of Mankind
- Al Mezan Center for Human Rights
- Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
- Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association
- DCI - Defense for Children International - Palestine
- Jerusalem Legal Aid and Human Rights Center
- Aldameer Association for Human Rights
- Ramallah Center for Human Rights Studies
- Hurryyat - Center for Defense of Liberties and Civil Rights
- The Independent Commission for Human Rights (Ombudsman Office) - Observer Member
- Muwatin Institute for Democracy and Human Rights - Observer Member
- The Palestinian Non-Governmental Organizations Network (PNGO)
- Community Action Center (Al Quds University)
- Civic Coalition for Palestinian Rights in Jerusalem