Affidavit No. 5175/2009

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I, the undersigned, Jamal Suleiman Mustafa Subuh, of Palestinian nationality, holder of ID No. 979110954, born on 18 February 1966, a worker, and a resident of the Kushika Street, Ras al-‟Ein neighbourhood, Nablus city, Nablus governorate, would like to declare the following:

On 26 December 2009, my family members and I were present in our flat on the third floor of our four-storey family house, which is located on the Kushika Street in the Ras al-‟Ein neighbourhood in the city of Nablus. My family consists of my wife Nisrin (about 42 years old) and my children Bahiyya (about 22 years old), Sundus (about 14 years old), Isra‟ (about 11 years old), Samer (about 19 years old), Tha‟er (about 17 years old) and „Abd-al-Rahman (about 15 years old). While we were present in the house, all of my family members were asleep, except for me. As I was staying up late, I suddenly and clearly heard the sound of fire opened intensively at around 2:30 am (as my watch indicated). During this time, I heard persons speaking loudly in Hebrew, but I did not understand what they were saying. When I heard that, I estimated that events were taking place inside the old city of Nablus; that is approximately one kilometre north of my location. Several minutes later, a very strong explosion occurred. As it was severe, it appeared that the explosion occurred at the entrance to the building where I live. Immediately, I looked through the western window that overlooks the western entrance along the street.

In the light cast by the street lamp posts, I saw a large number of Israeli army troops wearing the standard military uniform and carrying long weapons dispersed in front of the building, west of the street. I also saw many patrols take position across the street. I immediately awakened the members of my family and told them what was happening. I then moved to my brothers‟ flats. I reported the event to Farid and his family of three members; Nasser and family of seven members, five of whom are children; as well as to Nidhal and his family of nine members, five of whom are children. When I moved to „„Anan‟s flat, his wife answered me and I reported the matter to her. I reported the event to my brothers and „Anan‟s wife in less than two minutes. Immediately then, a soldier called in Arabic through a megaphone that everybody inside the building should get out.

Based on these orders, all of us, as well as my brother „Anan‟s seven children, left the building. Other families who were hiring flats in the building also went outside. As soon as we reached the street in front of the building, two soldiers, one of whom was masked, demanded in Arabic, through a megaphone that men lift up their shirts, which we did. Then, soldiers separated the men from the women. Later, the women and children were relocated to the al-Foula family‟s house, which is located a short distance south of our building. The men were then required to go to the al-Amoudi family‟s house opposite our building, across the street, which is about eight metres wide. As we moved there, several soldiers walked in front of us and behind us. Meanwhile, I saw several soldiers open fire intensively towards our houses without prior notice. After we entered the said house, soldiers forced us to stay in a room not exceeding 16 square metres. Many men from the al-Amoudi house were also present in the room. Several minutes later, a soldier who was positioned at the front of the room demanded that we present our ID cards. Then, the soldier took turns relocating us, individually, to another room in the house, where each person would be held for almost 15 minutes. On my turn, I was taken to a room where a number of soldiers were present.

After I entered the room and said my name, a soldier spoke to me in Arabic and introduced himself as an Intelligence officer. He was wearing the standard military uniform and carried a long  weapon. I estimated that he was around 40 years of age. He started to question me about the location of my brother „Anan and demanded that I get him out of the building. I said that my brother was not present in there. Had I known that my brother was inside the building, I would have brought him out, but I did not know where he was. 15 minutes later, the soldier had me return back to the room. I should note that from the first moment the other men and I had entered the said house, I heard the sound of shots being fired and explosions taking place from time to time. As the explosions were very loud, it seemed as if they were taking place inside our building. Less than half an hour after I had been detained in our neighbours‟ house, I heard soldiers calling my brother through a megaphone several times, demanding that he get out of the building. During this time, soldiers continued to open fire intensively. Minutes later, I heard through a mosques‟ loudspeaker that Ghassan Abu-Sharkh and Ra‟ed al-Sarkaji were martyred inside their houses. About 15 minutes later, a number of soldiers then relocated me to the same room to which I had been taken earlier. A number of soldiers were inside the room. After I entered, a soldier immediately addressed me in Arabic and introduced himself as Officer Jamil. He wore the standard military uniform and carried a long weapon. I estimated that he was around 40 years of age or more.
“I have killed two, and your brother will be the third.” He told me.
“There is nothing we can do.” I replied.
Then, Officer Jamil took me out to the street and demanded that I tell my brother „Anan to get out of the building through a megaphone, which a soldier had brought. Because of these orders, I called my brother three times to get out if he was inside the building. However, no one responded. Later, the officer took me to the house where my brothers and other neighbours were detained. After I entered the room and sat down, I occasionally heard the sound of intensive fire and projectiles fired on the building. Several minutes later, the same officer came in and said that he had an order to arrest me. He took out plastic handcuffs, tied my hands behind my back, blindfolded me, and relocated me to another room. I knew that the room was close because I only walked for a couple of metres. During this time, I heard the sound of bullets and projectiles from time to time.

Several hours after I was detained and the firing ceased, Mr. Jihad, the owner of the house, entered the room. He told me he was surprised to see me in the room and he thought that I had been arrested. Immediately, he removed the blindfold, cut off the handcuffs, and said that the soldiers had left the house. I got out of the house and went to our building. At this time, I saw soldiers withdraw from the street. It was about 7:00 am. As I entered the first floor, I saw a blanket covering an area of about 10 metres in the yard on the first floor of the building, located over the roof of a store. When I lifted the blanket, I was shocked to see the corpse of my brother „Anan, which was covered in blood. As I started to shout, a number of my neighbours shortly arrived and carried the dead body to the street. An ambulance arrived and transported my brother to the Rafidia Hospital in the city of Nablus. Having examined the corpse, doctors found out that my brother had sustained several bullet wounds and shrapnel all over his body.

It should be noted that my brother, who was a Palestinian Preventive Security officer, had obtained an exemption for his role in the intifada from the Palestinian Authority and Israel several months ago. Conditions of the exemption stated that he must not leave Nablus or stay overnight with his friends. His friends must not stay overnight with him either. My brother complied with these conditions.

In the building, all of the window glass and aluminium frames were destroyed. All of the furniture inside the flats belonging to my brothers and the other tenants were thrown on the ground and damaged. Several walls inside rooms were cracked, and scores of bullet cartridges had hit the walls. Soldiers also made a hole, which measured more than one square metre, in the ceiling of the stores beneath our building; that is, in the same yard where my brother‟s body was found.

At the end, I should point that, several hours after we took my brother‟s corpse to hospital, Ghassan Abu-Sharkh and Ra‟ed al-Sarkaji were also transported to the Rafidia Hospital after the Israeli occupying troops had killed them. Later, the dead bodies were transported and buried in cemeteries in the city of Nablus.

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 5175/2009
  • Field researcher: Yousef Qawareiq
  • Affidavit Date: 30 December 2009
  • Name: Jamal Suleiman Mustafa Subuh
Al-Haq 40th Anniversary
  • Recent Added
  • Weekly Focus
  • Gaza
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter